The Eastern Market sheds are receiving a makeover this summer thanks to a $500,000 grant from the Bank of America Charitable Foundation. The renovation project began last summer, and will conclude before Flower Day. The renovation project also includes relocating the infamous Rosie the Riveter's produce stand from Greenfield Village to Shed No. 3. The renovated Shed No. 2 will be open to the public during Eastern Market After Dark in 2009.
The project is expected to cost $9.4 million, and has received funding from the City of Detroit, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, and the Ford Foundation. In the next couple of years, the nonprofit is expected to raise another $1 million to complete the project. The new sheds are scheduled to be completed in October. A temporary tent will be set up on Russell Street to house the market's vendors. This will help the market keep the city's historic buildings in a state-of-the-art condition.
The first Eastern Market Shed was built in 1890 by Richard E. Raseman. It was small at only 575 by 208 feet. It was destroyed during a violent storm on December 23, 1890. However, the original building was rebuilt in 1891. It lasted until 1967, when the Fisher Freeway was built. Shed 2 was built by Raseman the following year. The renovated Eastern Market will feature a variety of produce and floral arrangements.
In addition to the original sheds, Shed 5 and Shed 6 will feature a new commercial kitchen. The two buildings will also be home to other businesses and events. The renovated Shed 5 will be the first to have two public spaces. The DTE Energy Foundation Plaza and the Kid Rock Kitchen Commons will offer public meeting areas and a 200-seat outdoor social area. The project is funded by the City of Detroit, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, the Ford foundation, and Whole Foods Market.
The eastern market sheds are a popular place for people to shop. This part of the market has many places to eat, including a popular creperie. Shed 4 has a wide selection of savory and sweet crepes, and is also home to a popular food truck. While visiting the Eastern Market, consider purchasing a product from local farmers. They're a great way to support local farmers and the local food movement.
The first building was constructed by Richard E. Raseman in 1890. It was a small building and only 575 square feet. It was destroyed in a violent storm on December 23, 1890. It was rebuilt in 1891 and remained in operation until the construction of the Fisher Freeway in 1967. In addition to Shed 1, Raseman also created two additional sheds in the area. Those buildings were a hub for wholesale food distribution.